Saturday 15 October 2016

I should be so lucky, lucky........

2 Long-tailed Skuas and a Balearic Shearwater passed Whitburn Obs early morning before we moved outside to enjoy the vis mig. Magic Mark joined me and gave me a shout so i could get the Richards Pipit flying low down over my head. It is Obs year tick number 179, that's 10 more than last year already, we also had Brambling Siskins Snipe and loads of thrushes.
Then it was thanks to Saint Mark who drove me down for the Siberian Accentor with his dad. The journey for the Sibe was daunting and i did struggle with my currant mobility problems. The bird was not showing and people were leaving and heading off to look at the other birds on offer Sibe Chat, Pallas's, Dusky...
I managed to bump into Damian Money who found the Accentor to say hello as we do chat on social media tho we had never met before. This delayed our departure and i was walking behind a man and his dog when he saw and called the bird, i think it was Mark Askew so thanks guys
I should be so lucky lucky lucky, lucky

This is what we saw from the Obs in order of appearance

Saturday 15th October 07.05-10.30 E2

Black h Gull 27n 13s
Long-tailed Skua 2n
Common Gull 49n 8s
Red br Merganser 1s
Eider 1s
Teal 20n 1s
Curlew 1n
Red th Diver 7n 1s
Common Scoter 44n 2s
Dunlin 5n
Balearic Shearwater 1n 08.14
Arctic Skua 1n
Pintail 5n
Wigeon 25n
Woodcock 1 in off
Snipe 1s
Brambling 3 or 4
Siskin 3
Redwing 800
Owl sp 1
Richards Pipit 1s